Saturday, October 22, 2011

Holly's Bucket List


As I'm nearing 30 (only 2 years away!), and my son is growing at speeds I didn't even know were possible, I'm feeling like my life is just getting away from me. What do I have to show for my 28 years? Sure I have done many great things. I have an incredible, handsome, intelligent 5-year old boy that I can take a good amount of credit for. I have found and married the love of my life. I have experienced lots of heartbreak. I have learned a musical instrument or 2. I have moved across the country... and back... and back again. I have left the country. I have ran away from home. I have experienced some extreme crazy drunken days and nights. But when it comes down to it, there is so much I still need and want to do, and let's face it... I'm not getting any younger!
What is this life about? Just going through day by day just trying to get through those 8 hours at the office, make dinner, clean the house, and get to sleep? Gah, I hope that's not all we're here for! Life is about the experience. It's about experiencing all that this world has to offer. The beauty, the uniqueness, the weird, the outstanding, the off-the-wall, the tear-jerking... all of it. It's about making memories.
I'm sure most of you have heard of the term the Bucket List. If you haven't seen the film starring Morgan Freeman and Jack Nicholson, I highly recommend it! A Bucket List is the list of things you want to do before you 'kick the bucket'. For the last couple of days, I have been writing down my Bucket List. I'm sure there are many more things that need to be added to this list. Without further ado, I present to you, my person Bucket List. I'm sure it will be added to over time, but for the time-being, this is what I've got. (I have completed those few that are in red)

1. go skydiving
2. visit paris
3. learn and speak french fluently
4. travel the US for a year in an RV


5. visit all 50 states
6. write a blog worth reading
7. fall madly in love
8. marry the love of my life


9. achieve complete satisfaction with my body
10. go to culinary school
11. make wine
12. raise a dog from a Puppy
13. go to Africa
14. volunteer in Africa
15. go on an African Safari


16. ride in a hot air balloon
17. paint a mural
18. master the guitar
19. run a 5k
20. run a half marathon
21. go skinny dipping
22. surprise my son with a trip to Disneyland & leave that day
23. push my child to be on the honor roll
24. be involved in my son's extracurricular activities
25. read all of Lord of the Rings
26. spend a weekend watching all of LOTR (AFTER I've read them all)
27. read all of Harry Potter to my son
28. watch each Harry Potter movie with my son after each book is finished
29. pay off all debt
30. own a car over 15k - paid with cash in FULL
31. go on a romantic boat ride/picnic with my honey

32. spend new years in NY
33. spend new years in Vegas
34. be a part of a flash mob
35. learn self-defense
36. get my bachelor's degree - in anything
37. learn to knit
38. have a hammock in my backyard

39. learn how to shoot a gun
40. pay something off for someone
41. shower in a natural waterfall
42. sleep under the stars - no tent allowed
43. go on the Ellen show
44. Visit the Lourve
45. see the Mona Lisa at the Lourve
46. build a treehouse for Xander
47. own a home
48. take treats to new neighbors
49. go on a cruise
50. stay at a Bed & Breakfast
51. be an active advocate for something (gay rights, against child abuse, MADD etc)
52. change my name
53. have a completely organized home
54. go ice blocking

55. host a murder mystery
56. see a broadway show in NY
57. take a train ride to another city
58. make wine
59. grow a garden
60. ride in a helicopter
61. go to a Superbowl game
62. stay up all night and watch the sun rise
63. go to England
64. sing karaoke at a bar - with people actually watching
65. do a Boudior shoot (oh, you WISH you could get a picture for this one!)
66. get completely drenched playing in a rain storm


67. get tattoo by Kat Von D
68. be able to do a pull-up
69. be able to do 100 push-ups
70. go on an all inclusive trip to somewhere tropical
71. go to argentina to see where my grandma grew up
72. go to at least 6 of the 7 continents - bonus if I actually fine a way to step foot on Antarctica!
73. make ravioli from scratch
74. host/cook a Thanksgiving dinner with all the trimmings at our own home with all our family
75. go to MI Women's Music Festival
76. Experience San Fran Pride
77. experience childbirth
78. see Missy Higgins in concert

79. go to a real blues bar in Chicago
80. take a latin dance class
81. visit the Grand Canyon
82. Go to Yellowstone
83. learn how to be more social
84. learn how to be a better public speaker
85. have a firepit in our backyard/patio
86. be a house my kid's friends want to come play & eat at
87. own a baby grand piano
88. spend a week at a silent retreat
89. take my family back to where I grew up (Elkhart, IN & Attica, IN)
90. throw someone a surprise party
91. learn how to cook with Seitan
92. learn how to cook with Tempeh
93. re-learn how to sew
94. visit a favorite tv show set
95. volunteer to build a house for Habitat for Humanity
96. teach my son about money, debt, and saving before he leaves home
97. teach my son how to cook
98. celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary
99. celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary
100. Attend Oktoberfest in Munich, Germany

So what is on your bucket list? What are you going to do to make your life worth living? What experiences are important to you? What do you want to make sure you don't miss out on. Don't let another day pass... get started now. And check your list often! Actively work on your Bucket List. I'm currently working on #52!

No comments:

Post a Comment