Saturday, November 26, 2011

Lattice Top Apple Pie


I feel like it's been ages since I visited my blog. You would think that with all the delicious food this time of year, there would be a ton to blog about and I'd have a couple posts a day. It's not that I haven't been baking and cooking - it's just that I've been enjoying the Thanksgiving holiday and really haven't wanted to interrupt it with blogging. Just like I get a 4-day weekend from my 9-5 job, I have felt like I needed to take a little break from this too. There is nothing more important to me than family. There is nothing that I am more thankful than my family. I'm pretty sure I told Xander how thankful for him about 5,415,265 times. He is my pride and joy. He's a big part of what has made me who I am today. And Tiffani - I couldn't be more thankful for my new wife! Spending time with my little family and our extended families has been so great. We spent the day eating a great dinner over at Tiffani's mom's house with lots of family. After a few hours, we dropped Xander off with his dad and headed over to my parents' house for dessert to spend time with them and my sister's family. Oh my, the dessert! There was a banana cream pie, pumpkin pie, better-than-sex cake, and I brought my signature Apple Pie. I may or may not have eaten leftover apple pie for lunch yesterday.
I have been making this pie for about 6 years now, and it's one that I feel I've finally perfected. I think ever since my dad told me it was better than the frozen (yet delicious-o) Sara Lee Dutch Apple Pie we'd been eating for the previous 20-some years, I have made it a point to bring it to family gatherings. This Thanksgiving was no exception.
I am so excited to be sharing this recipe with you guys! It is probably my most practiced, most favorite, and definitely most YUMMY. The flaky crust and the gooey, cinnamon-y, apple-y goodness on my tastebuds. It's almost like a baby to me. I have held on to it for so long and shared with those that I love. It has grown from a crust that was always falling apart with bumps and bruises to this beautiful and stable vessel for these apples. It is now ready to be let loose into the world, and that it why I'm giving it a debut here on Two Hens! I know it's a little late for Thanksgiving, but Christmas is right around the corner, and you know, you could always just make a special occasion for this tasty little thing. It's THAT good! So without further ado ...

Lattice-Top Apple Pie

1 recipe for a 9-inch double crust
1/2 cup unsalted butter
3 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/4 cup water
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
5 granny smith apples - peeled, cored, and sliced
1 egg


Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Melt the butter in a saucepan. Stir in flour to form a paste. Add water, white sugar and brown sugar, and cinnamon. Bring to a boil. Reduce temperature and let simmer, stirring often.
Link
Place the bottom crust in your pie pan.

Fill with apples, mounded slightly. Gently pour the sugar and butter liquid over the crust. Pour slowly so that is does not run off.... but just know that no matter how careful you are, you are probably going to want to put this thing on a baking sheet. This will also help with the after-baking clean up.. unless you like to spend time scrubbing out your oven.




Cover with a lattice crust. In a small bowl, whisk an egg with a small bit of water. Brush your egg wash all over the top of your crust. This will give you that beautiful golden brown top crust. Sprinkle the top generously with cinnamon.


Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Reduce the temperature to 350 degrees F and continue to bake for 35-45 minutes, until the apples are soft.
Let this cool for at LEAST 3 hours! This is a very important step. I promise. As much as you will want to cut and eat this right out of the oven, that is not a good idea. You will end up with Apple Pie Soup! Sounds yummy - but probably not what you're looking for. After at least 3 hours, dig in! Slice it up and pair with a big ole' scoop of Vanilla Bean. Oh yes please! Come to MAMA!

No comments:

Post a Comment