Sunday, November 13, 2011

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Scones

I woke up this morning knowing that I wanted to bake something. I just wasn't sure what that something was going to be. The options were - pumpkin muffins. pumpkin waffles. pumpkin cookies. but ok, I've got to show you guys that I can do so much more than pumpkin! I just started this cooking thing at the height of the pumpkin season. But I resisted the urge to open yet another can of pumpkin puree and instead, was on the hunt for a yummy scone recipe. I've made pumpkin scones for the last couple years for the Wife's birthday, and they've always been a hit. The flakey-ness that's just oh so yummy to dip into your coffee... or hot chocolate.. what have you. Or you could smother it with some icing for that added kick of sweet. For me though, the icing is just a little too over-the-top. These cinnamon scones are the perfect amount of sugary, buttery goodness. On top of that, they are so simple to make!
I'm not much of a breakfast kind of girl, but give me a pastry to go with my 20 cups of coffee, and I am thrilled! Muffins, scones, donuts, sweet bread... ooooh yes! On our honeymoon, that is what just about every breakfast consisted of. A yummy breakfast goody and coffee from some local shop. Oh man, I miss Seattle!
Anyway, let me just show you how easy this is for you to whip up! **so easy that I even let the wifey help me.... she's gonna kill me if she ever reads that**

Sunday Morning Cinnamon Scones
adapted from Money Saving Mom

Ingredients
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter
1 egg separated
3 Tablespoons honey
1/3 cup buttermilk (or 1/3 cup milk mixed with 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice)
1-2 Tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon


Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
Cut in butter until mixture is crumbly, using a pastry blender. You should have little pea-size balls throughout this mixture.


Separate the egg white and the yolk. Set the egg white aside.
In a separate bowl, mix together the egg yolk, honey, and buttermilk (or the milk/lemon juice mixture). Add to the dry mixture and mix until just combined.
You don't want to work it too much or it won't turn out quite as flaky. You don't want a cookie batter consistency. Just barely mixed.
Form dough into a ball on a floured surface.
Roll or pat out to half an inch in thickness and eight inches in diameter. Cut into eight equally-sized pieces.
Transfer to a greased baking sheet. Whisk the egg white until froth forms and brush over the tops of scones. Mix sugar and cinnamon together and sprinkle over egg-white-topped scones.



Bake at 400 degrees for 10 to 12 minutes.
Enjoy with a hot cuppa whatever you like. For us, it will be coffee! What a GREAT way to start your lazy Sunday!



















No comments:

Post a Comment